BALANCED Leadership Planning
After over four decades, of involvements, in nearly all aspects, of leadership, focusing on professional leadership planning, from identifying, and qualifying individuals, to training, developing, and consulting to thousands of actual, and/ or, potential leaders, as well as, personally, leading, a variety of types and sizes of organizations, I believe, this planning, must be BALANCED. Since there is no, one – size – fits – all, approach, because the best model and approach, for one group, may not be the finest option, for another, the most relevant, successful, and sustainable organizations, use this approach. With that in mind, this article will attempt to, briefly, consider, examine, review, and discuss, using the mnemonic approach, what this means, and represents, and why it makes sense to proceed, accordingly.
1. Benefits; beliefs; better: A quality leader must seek, to leave his group, stronger, and better, than when he assumed, his position! This means, using strategic planning, to address the stakeholder’s beliefs, and priorities, and providing relevant benefits, in a meaningful way.
2. Attitude; attention: Leading must begin with, a quality, positive, can – do, attitude, and a willingness, to pay keen attention, to determining the finest options and alternatives!
3. Listen; learning; leading: No one has all the answers, so, great leaders, proceed, to effectively listen, and consistently, learning, from every conversation, and experience! The essence of meaningful, leading, is balancing the needs, goals, and perceptions of all one’s constituents, for the common good!
4. Aptitude; articulate: Before someone articulates a populist message, it’s essential for a true leader, to develop the finest aptitude, and relevant, well – developed, skill – set. When one articulates a balanced, well – considered, message, he begins to become a meaningful, effective leader!
5. Needs; nuances/ niche: If you hope to make a difference, for the better, recognize, every group, has specific, unique characteristics, and it’s important to understand and recognize, it’s nuances, and use, a degree of niche – leadership! Leading must always prioritize, the genuine needs of the organization, and its constituents!
6. Character; creative; cooperation: The difference between a real leader, and much of the rest – of – the – pack, is the quality of that leader’s character! One must be creative, enough to consider the bigger – picture, and the long – term, with the mindset, of seeking optimal cooperation!
7. Empathy; emphasis; endurance; excellence: Those, who proceed, with genuine empathy, and place their emphasis, on providing excellence, means, balancing options, and pursuing effectively! Since this may be challenging, a great leader must have the endurance, to go – on, when lesser individuals, give – up!
8. Delve deeply; discover: Go beyond, the surface, and delve deeply, into the various options and alternatives, and discover, the best course of action.
Those who proceed, in a BALANCED manner, become, most capable of effective leadership! Are you the right person, to become a real leader?