5 Causes of Bruised Penile Tissue and How to Treat It
Bruises are unsightly and uncomfortable, but usually, nothing to worry about. However, when a man sees one on his hulking member, he might react a little dramatically. Most bruises just need a little time and TLC to go away, but sometimes, bruises can be more than they appear and require a trip to the doc to be sure it’s just a bruise and not something more serious like a penile fracture. Here’s a primer on bruised penile tissue; think of it at Penis Bruising 101, on what to look for, what may cause it, and how to treat and prevent bruises.
Bruised Penile Tissue: Symptoms
Penises fill with blood, that’s what they do. However, these mighty blood vessels can experience some form of trauma and burst. This is when a bruise appears on the surface of the skin. When this happens, these symptoms are most common:
– A bluish, purplish, or even greenish hue to the affected area
– Pain when erect
Bruised Penile Tissue: Causes
1) Acrobatic and Kinky Sex – In the era of “50 Shades,” kink is more widely discussed and as a result, it may be a little more widely practiced. In fact, according to a recent survey, 40 percent of Americans would classify themselves as “kinky,” While kink comes in many different flavors, many can result in a bruised penis if all participants aren’t careful, especially for those into the BDSM lifestyle. However, getting out a crop isn’t the only way to experience sex-related penis bruising. Very acrobatic, active, or rougher sex can also lead to bruising. How? Hitting an intimate partner’s pubic bone too hard is just one of the common ways to experience penis bruising. Anything that puts pressure on the penis can cause bruising when done excessively or too hard, so be sure to communicate with intimate partners during partner play.
2) Hematomas – Hematomas are next-level bruises. They become lumpy to the touch as blood from the injury pools beneath the skin. This can cause a very serious, very dangerous loss of blood flow. Men experiencing this should see a doctor immediately. Treatment can range from ice packs and ibuprofen to surgery to prevent the rupture of a major vein in the penis.
3) Activity-Related Injuries – Grab your pads and put on your cup because getting checked too hard in the paint can lead to bruised penile tissue. Getting a bat in the goodies or one too many elbows can lead to penis bruising.
4) Injury or Accidents – Whether it’s a car accident or walking junk first into the open junk drawer at home, penis accidents happen. Be sure to get a thorough check for car or work accidents immediately. Most men won’t want to head to the doctor immediately for a household accident but always practice caution as penile fractures can be quite dangerous.
5) Self-Pleasure – Choking the chicken is a great way to relieve stress and to discover what one likes sexually. However, doing so dry, too hard, or for too long can lead to bruised penile tissue. Men should be especially wary of “Death Grip.” Men who masturbate excessively often find they have to intensify compression on the penis to enjoy release. This creates a vicious circle of ever-increasing constriction and the grip becomes so disproportionate and the friction so forceful that it’s difficult to orgasm. Take some time away to regain sensitivity and use a lubricant when engaged in solo play.
Bruised Penile Tissue: Treatment
A normal bruise usually just needs a week or two to disappear. First, take time off activities like sports or intimate contact to let the tissue rest. Continuing to put it at risk can intensify and spread the bruise. Secondly, take some ibuprofen or acetaminophen if the pain warrants it. Another thing people find helpful for any kind of bruising is a compress. Cool compresses are ideal 24 to 48 hours after the bruise appears, but after that switch to warm compresses. The warmth gives blood vessels the ability to relax and expand so the damaged cells can be turned over and swept from the body.
Applying a high-quality specifically formulated penis health creme (health professionals recommend Man 1 Man Oil, which has been clinically proven safe and mild for skin) can also help in healing. These specially created crèmes provide vitamins and nutrients like vitamins A, B5, C, D, and E topically to promote rejuvenation and cellular function. They also promote healthy blood flow to escort damaged cells from the premises.